Everything’s Coming Up Roses!

Everything’s Coming Up Roses!

Happy Valentine’s Day! This special day is just around the corner. While I don’t usually do a whole lot for Valentine’s Day, I did want to remind you of our Pay to Wear Valentines Colours event happening on Tuesday. For just $2 or more, your child can wear Valentine’s colours along with casual items and show their love for Missions Team preparing for their Guatemala trip happening over Spring Break. In terms of Valentine’s Day cards, for students who choose to bring Valentine’s cards, we kindly ask that they make sure to bring a card for everyone in the class. This way, no one gets left out purposefully or accidentally. 🙂 However, students do not have to bring cards if they do not wish to.

In math class, we have been working hard on our unit on polygons and I am proud to say that we will be finishing up this quick unit this week. To celebrate and assess our learning, we will be having a math quiz on Tuesday. Your child is encouraged to study and review their notes in preparation for the quiz. Important terms for them to remember are:

• Polygons – any 2D shape with straight sides.
  • regular polygons (all sides and angles are equal) and irregular polygons (not all sides and angles equal)
  • Polygon names
    • Triangle – 3 sided
    • Rectangle/square/Quadrilaterals/rhombus – 4 sided
    • pentagon – 5 sided
    • hexagon – 6 sided
    • heptagon – 7sided
    • Octagon – 8 sided
  • Parallel lines
  • Parallelograms – Quadrilateral with two pairs of parallel Sides
  • Trapezoids – quadrilateral with one pair of parallel sides
  • Quadrilaterals – four sided shape
  • rectangles – quadrilateral of all angles the same
  • squares – Special type of rectangle with all sides and angles the same
  • Rhombus – quadrilateral with four equal sides

We are continuing with our memory verse for the month, Psalm 138:1, which we will be reciting on Monday.

I will praise you, Lord, with all my heart;
    before the “gods” I will sing your praise.

Mark your calendars, as we will also be having class photos on February 21st.

Finally, in music class, we have been focusing on musicals and have been listening to different musical soundtracks each week. This week, we have been listening to the “Lord of the Rings” musical. The music of the week this week is one of my favourites. You may or may not know that I am a musical theatre buff. I not only collect musical theatre music, posters, etc but I have also been in a couple of musical productions. I am also a huge fan of Lord of the Rings (much to my wife’s chagrin) so when I heard they were doing a musical version of Lord of the Rings, I knew that the music would be awesome. And while the production never did actually go anywhere beyond Toronto and London, the music is still one of my favourites. So this week, I have been playing some selections from the musical. I also showed students a couple videos from the production to give them a sense of how the music played in the theatre. I love giving students experiences like this; to see and hear music in a wide variety of contexts.

Last week’s music of the week was the Matilda musical.

We hope that your child is enjoying these musical selections and is inspired by the beautiful music.