Catching Up

Catching Up

First of all, my apologies if the videos on the blogs didn’t work for you. Some were able to see it and some weren’t. As it is hard to trouble shoot from here, I will try and send the videos to each family throughout the week and see if that works better.

Our memory verse for this week is continuing with Psalm 121. We will be doing verse 4 next:

indeed, he who watches over Israel

will neither slumber nor sleep.

We are closing in on the end of some of our units soon. In Language Arts, we will be finishing up with personal narratives and I am looking forward to starting our unit on instructional writing. In Math, we are finishing our unit on Addition and Subtraction and will be moving into polygons and symmetry next. We are also close to finishing our look at the times tables. We are currently on the 8 times tables right now. We will finish that up and then move into our last times tables: the nine times tables. We will then be using xtramath to help build fluency as we mix up the the times tables. If you are able to, please help out by doing some flash cards with your child at home. It doesn’t need to be very long. Two to five minutes a night is sufficient. You can also sign up for this free site that will also help:

https://www.timestables.com/

In Science, we have been looking at other types of energy including heat energy and electrical energy. As you may have heard, students had the chance to build flashlights with LED lights. Last day, students got to hear the sound of their electricity through a speaker. Students touched the metal end of a speaker cord connected to the speaker and heard the sound of the electricity coming from their bodies through the speaker. It was a very cool moment. We will be wrapping up this unit soon and moving into one of my favorite units: Space!

We have had a couple of music selections since we last chatted. Two weeks ago, it was Bobby McFerrin. He is an incredible artist and does almost all his music without instruments. Here are some videos with him, including my favorite, “Blackbird”.

The music of the week this week comes from one of my favourite local groups – The Bills. This group consists of members from British Columbia. They have been around for awhile and have one some national awards for their music. However, you are not likely to have heard of them as they keep a pretty low profile. The group itself comes together only once and awhile. When they are not playing or touring together, they are often working on their own projects. So, you would be forgiven if you have never heard of them. I only heard of them when I came across one of their albums in the folk section of the library. I was intrigued by the cover and when I heard them play, I was blown away! Doing some more research on them, I discovered that they were going to be playing at the local hall in Harrison Hot Springs. It was a very intimate concert in the hall with people sitting at tables. But it was a fantastic concert and afterwards, the band hopped off the stage, paraded around the room while playing their last song and signed autographs. My wife and I still talk about that concert.  Here are a couple of selections: