Lots of Stuff This Week! Oh…and Spelling for Feb. 1

There has been lots of stuff happening this week. Let’s start with Science!

We have been working steadily on our Moon Lander projects. Students are creating and building moon landers that are going to be large enough to hold an egg. Students will work on making sure that the Moon Lander lands upright and is able to protect the egg upon landing. Once built, we will be dropping the Moon Lander from the second floor window of the main school. Should be interesting to see what happens. Some neat ideas are being planned and….oh….students only get 10 000 000 dollars to use to purchase materials with which they are tracking on their spreadsheets. At the same time, students are building ships in Social Studies for their unit on explorers. Actually, the explorers theme is going right across our Science and Social Studies, right now. Our room is a bit of cardboard chaos right now with Genius Hour also happening at the same time. Lot’s of fun learning happening right now.

Speaking of space and explorers, the Mars Perseverance will be making it’s landing on Mars on Feb. 17. We have started our countdown and are looking forward to the days events. I am not sure what the day will look like but there are opportunities to possible see the rover actually land with the cameras it has aboard. There are also activities and possibly a chance to hear NASA scientists answer questions from students. Here are a couple preview videos:

If you remember, earlier in the year, students submitted their names to be placed on the next Moon Lander. They received a “ticket” and will have their names etched onto the moon lander. This Mars Rover will have the names from the students in last years class on it!! So exciting!

Here is your spelling for the week:

1. lengthy
  2. loud
  3. naughty
  4. hungry
  5. heavy
  6. brief
  7. simple
  8. guilty
  9. slow
  10. strong
  11. entrance
  12. cloth
  13. spend
  14. cattle
  15. steel
  16. view
  17. pie
  18. destroy
  19. spread
  20. bottom

Here is the link to Spelling City. Don’t forget to try for your bonus mark!!

The memory verse for the week is from 1 Corinthians 13:1 and 2. It’s a long one so we will hear the verse on the following Monday.

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

It’s been awhile since I have posted the music of the week. Our music of the week last week was a bluegrass band called Crooked Still. Here is one of their songs below:

This week, we will be listening to the soundtrack from the movie, “The Power of One”. This album has some beautiful African choir singing in it.