A Long Time

A Long Time

ReadingBritish Reading Room, Wikipedia

It feels like it has been a long time since I have written anything on our blog about what is happening in the class. I have sent home a newsletter today so that will tell you about some of the stuff that has been happening. The kids, though, have been great. We still have a lot to get through and they are working very hard and don’t blink an eye and the pace or the movement from one activity to the other.

We just started our new poems today. As a class we created a colour poem called “Another Blue Song”. Though I typed it on the board, all the ideas are theirs and the poem just came out wonderfully. We then went around and recorded different coloured objects on the appropriate paper as ideas for tomorrow when the students will get to write their own poems. I am really looking forward to them. Speaking of poetry, I haven’t been very consistent with putting the poetry readings on the blog. I will try to get those all on here as soon as I can. I have them all stored. I just have to convert them and put them on the blog. I am also going to add the choral readings the students finished last week. If you don’t know choral readings are generally short poems that are read by a group of people. The students learned the different styles of choral reading and got to perform their own in front of the class.

For science today, we talked about a story we read about the first space explorers. They were actually a duck, a sheep and a chicken. Scientists were testing whether we could breathe as we got higher up in the atmosphere. Fortunately for the animals, they were able to and came back alive. The important concepts for this lesson was that scientists create scientific explanations using evidence which is what the students will be doing as we explore several concepts in Space Science.

For math, we have just about finished with the 4 times tables. We have also been applying this to converting quarts to gallons as well as money, where students can use four quarters to make a dollar. Students should be working on memorizing their times tables at home. I had sent home math sheets to help them with this but they may have gotten lost. If you need some more worksheets you can let me know. Also, if you click on the Math Fact Cafe link at the top left, you can make your own worksheets to print off to practice their multiplication tables.

I have added this months newsletter to the box.net box on the right side. Please let me know (in person or by email at ihancock-at-highroadacademy.com – replace the ‘at’ with the symbol!) if the blog is not working for you or there is something not appearing. The book thing is not working right now and “my people” are working on a solution to the problem.

Here are the spelling words for this week:

poison      chain

iron         evening

lightning        bottle

strange        sugar

intent        spacious

capital        range

fare         quart

kitten        built

mixture        nor

linen        rope

One thought on “A Long Time

1. I wonder how long it took to build that big thingamjig?!!? OR how high is that thingamjig?!!?