Spelling and Memory Verse

Spelling and Memory Verse

I luv to spell. Don’t yu?

Speaking of spelling, we started our spelling lists today. Students received their first list of 20 words to write in their spelling books. We broke the words down into syllables and phonograms and added the spelling rules for each of the words. As part of our spelling program students will usually get their spelling words on Monday and have a spelling test of those words on Friday. To help students prepare for their spelling tests, I will always put the words on the blog on Monday along with a link to Spelling City. Spelling City is a great site where students can practice their spelling words and do a pre-test to see how well they know the words.

I would encourage students to try the pre-test as it is always good practice and they can earn bonus marks for the actual spelling test. Here is how the bonus mark works. Your child practices the spelling words on the Spelling City site. When they are ready, they do the Spelling City test for those words. If they get all of them correct, students can print out the certificate and bring it to me. I will save it and give them the bonus mark on their spelling test. Alternatively, instead of printing the certificate out and wasting printer ink, you can just write in their planners that they got 100% on the Spelling City test and sign it. I will add it to their spelling test.

Here are the spelling words for the week:

Spelling Q1 by ihancock on Scribd

Click on the Spelling City box to practice your spelling words and get your bonus point!

This week, we also started our Memory Verses. We are starting with the Lord’s Prayer using the version from Matthew 6:9:

“This, then, is how you should pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,