Gymnastics and Reading? You don’t say . . .

Today was a nother busy day here in 3B. Not only did we learn about those pesky -ly words and create some awe inspiring lists of words ending with -ly, we also had two math tests and gymnastics. The first math test was to see how well the students remembered the 0, 1 and 2 times tables. I believe the students found it to be quite easy. The other math test was testing their knowledge of the nine times tables and using that knowledge in a word problem context. Next Wednesday, the student will have another quiz on the 5 and 9 times tables.

After lunch the students had their second field trip to the gymnastics club. The students were having a blast jumping around and twirling on the bars. This old body of mine tried to participate but quickly found out that I was not 9 years old anymore. I told the students that of course I used to be a gymnast before I started drinking coffee, but they didn’t seem to believe me.

As for reading, I found an interesting statistic on the benefits of reading at home with your child. As you know, students are supposed to be reading at home as often as possible for approx. 10 mins a night. A study from 1988 found that reading for 5 mins a day will allow a child to score in the 50th percentile (50-60%). However, if a child reads for 21 mins, their score improves to 90%. Just 16 more mins. a night!

[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/c6j8EiWIVZs" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]

A challenge for you and your child!!