Notes and Music of the Week 02/24/2020

Notes and Music of the Week 02/24/2020

We have a few things happening this week that I wanted to make you aware of:

1. Pink Shirt Day: Pink Shirt Day is happening on Weds. Feb. 26. Students are encouraged to wear pink to support anti-bullying initiatives across BC. We do not have any pink shirts for sale this year but you may be able to pick one up at your nearest London Drugs. Students are also allowed to wear items containing elements of pink. Shirts do not have to be completely pink. Students may wear casual pants with their shirt. If students would rather not participate, they can wear their regular uniforms.
  2. Markers for Guatemala: We are still looking for donations of markers or felt pens to send with the Missions team to Guatemala.
  3. Pancake Breakfast: Every year, the intermediates celebrate the beginning of March and the coming of Spring Break with a little Intermediate Community pancake breakfast. Any parent help would be welcome, whether it is helping make pancakes, bringing pancakes, set-up or take down. We always have lots of fun. If you are interested in helping out, please let me know. The pancake breakfast will be Mar. 13, 2020.
  4. Math Quiz Thursday: We have been doing a lot of work in multiplication these last few weeks focusing on the different methods of multiplication to give students a better sense of how multiplication works in partnership with place value. While students will most likely not use most of these methods in their day to day math, it has been good for math to explore how multiplication works. Before we go on further, students will have a very short, short quiz on these methods to make sure that we have a good grasp on the concept before moving on. Students will be given 4 questions and will need to choose 2 methods to answer each of the questions. Below, you will see an example of each of the methods.

Our music of the week is a group called “Crooked Still”. They perform using a style called “Bluegrass”. To be honest, I am not a huge fan of country music though I can appreciate the skill and work of those artists. However, I have always enjoyed bluegrass. To me, I find that it has an energy to it that I enjoy. I also enjoy how the banjo and/or mandolin is used to drive the music and rhythm. Here is a view of Crooked Still playing one of their most recent songs.