More Moon Phases!

More Moon Phases!

We have had lots of fun with moon phases but now it is time to show what we have learned about the moon and it’s phases.

On Tuesday, we will be having a little quiz about the moon and it’s phases. I have embedded the page below that we will be using for the quiz. While it is a long document, we will only be using the last page for the quiz. Students can use this to help them get ready for the quiz.

I also learned a very cool trick for figuring out whether a moon is waning or waxing. Draw a line on the moon in your head from top to bottom between the light part and the dark part. If the line and the lighted part make the shape of a “b”, then the moon is waxing. If the line and the lighted part make the shape of a “d”, the moon is waning.

Moon Phases Quizzes

For homework this month, students will be required to track the moon phases. Students should do this each night. There are lots of resources available to help with this, even if the night is cloudy. However, having a chance to go out and look at the sky at night is a great opportunity to learn about all the things in the night sky. If you have an ipad or ipod touch, there is a very nice app called, “Skyview”, that will tell you more about all the objects in the night sky above your head. It is a really cool app.

Each child has a received a copy of the calendar. I have also embedded one below in case of mishap. Please ensure that the calendar is done neatly. The calendars are for marks. I am looking for accuracy, neatness and detail. I don’t mind some creative license in creating a nicely designed moon with craters etc. I do not want a messy picture, however.

Calendarmonthvt-EnchantedLearning