The Moon and our Earth

The Moon and our Earth

Yesterday we were talking about the moon and how it does some pretty amazing things that even have an effect on our Earth!

First of all, we learned that the Moon and Earth both spin but that the Moon spins much more slowly than the Earth. The second thing we learned was that we only see one side of the Moon because the Moon spins so slowly. We also learned that the Moon’s orbit is slightly different than ours so the Moon is not always hidden by the Earth.

Finally, we learned that the tides on Earth happen because of the Moon’s gravity. I was telling the class about the tides and how, as a boy, when I was growing up in Nova Scotia, there was a little village nearby called Hall’s Harbour. At Hall’s Harbour, you could see the amazing tides as they came in and out. At the beginning of the day, the boats would be lying on the mud. Not too long later, the boats would be floating high up at the top of the dock. You have to see it to believe it! In fact, I have a video of that exact thing! Watch and be amazed!