Music Friday

Music Friday

Don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten.

I was not at school today due to the fact that I was giving a couple of presentations in Kamloops on Technology in the Classroom, which I happen to know just a little bit about. 🙂

However, I did not forget about Music Fridays! This week we did La Boheme. La Boheme was an extremely popular opera by Giacomo Puccini. It remains very popular today among opera houses around the world and is probably the only opera I can say that I truly like. In fact, as I was telling the students on Monday, I was actually in the production of La Boheme when the Edmonton Opera performed it. I was in the boys choir at the time and they needed boys to perform the roles of the street urchins and the more well-to-do boys. I auditioned and got one of the street urchin parts. The music wasn’t too difficult, I got to run around the stage in a costume and I got paid for it. It was a lot of fun and I still have fond memories of rehearsing and performing on the big stage. In fact, I still have the program and music from that production. Anyway, that was our music for the week and, I have to say, I was very impressed by the student’s reactions to it. They really understood that, even if we don’t like the music, we can still appreciated the work and creativity that goes into doing something like this.

Here is a clip from the Madrid production. I am not in this one. 🙂 If you watch all the way to the end, you might find a couple of other surprises!