Terry Fox and Class Party

Terry Fox and Class Party

It was a special day at Highroad today as students participated in Terry Fox Day. Students watched a video during chapel and then did four laps around the field as we commemorated the life of an amazing Canadian. I always get choked up whenever I see the video. Just the courage and strength of faith as he battled to overcome all the challenges placed in front of him doing something he was passionate about. Terry Fox sort of epitomizes and personalizes one of the challenges I want to place on the students this year; that while things will be hard, nothing worth doing ever comes easily and if we persevere, we can do great things. He was an amazing man whose joy came from helping others. He personally sacrificed a great deal to bring hope and happiness to others. While we can only do a little to remember him, it is still important to remember an ordinary person who became …

…. a hero.

Here we are on our run this afternoon and enjoying oranges donated by one of our wonderful parents.

On Friday, students will be having their first class party. The students have earned enough stars for good behavior to earn their party. I have been very impressed with their good behavior and the students have truly earned this reward. For Friday, I have told the students that I will bring the drinks but that they need to contribute the snacks. Only small items are needed. Cookies, chips, squares, veggies, fruit, etc would be greatly appreciated. Just a reminder that none of the food items should have peanuts, nuts or peanut oil in the ingredients. Thank you!

Thank you as well for helping your child be consistent in their Xtramath. While it may become monotonous for the children, you are building and strengthening those neurons in the brain that help with math functioning. The more repetition, the stronger those connections become.