Weekends Almost Here!

Weekends Almost Here!

Well, tomorrow’s Friday and I am sure the students are ready for a break. WE had a busy day today. Today is our “to and fro” day, as we move from music to library to gym. The students hardly had any time to work at their new desks!

Students also had a small test today on the 1 and 0 times table. We are working towards a couple of tests in the next couple of weeks. Tomorrow, students will be have a timed quiz on their basic facts in addition and subtraction. This will be happening each Friday. It is important that students become fluent in these basic facts as it provides support or the other work they do in Math and leaves them less dependent on using their fingers.

Starting tomorrow, you will also start receiving “home letters”. These letters are written by the students and detail the activities we are doing in the class. I know you enjoy receiving newsletters from me 🙂 but with these letters, students will get a chance to tell you, in their own words, all the things they have learned during the week. Also, it gives students a chance to review the learning of the week and embed that learning.

I have changed the settings for the blog to allow commenting without being a registered user of edublogs. However, you may not see your comment for a little bit as I have to approve all comments before they appear on the blog. Howeverm I would love to have parents commenting, responding to the students work, etc. I am hoping, down the road that we may be able to set up a book club where we post the book we are using for novel studies and parents can be involved as well, reading and commenting on the ideas from the book and the students suggestions. Anyway, any participation would be wonderful! We already have one person from Alaska who has left a comment!

Thank you to all the parents who sent their prayers and thoughts after my Gradfather’s passing. It was a difficult time but I was glad to get out there and be with family. I think we have a great class and class community!

Finally, I thought I would share this with all of you. Some may wonder why I would bother setting up a class blog and have students adding to the content of the blog, in addition to the other technology things we will be doing. I think this video gives some very good reasons why we should be doing all we can to have students working with technology safely and approprately. Enjoy!!

[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/pMcfrLYDm2U" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]

2 thoughts on “Weekends Almost Here!

1. Wow, that YouTube clip sure is an eye opener. I’m very excited about the blog for grade 3 and am looking forward to reading about what you guys are doing in the classroom. What a GREAT idea.

Erika